Last night we had a great time presenting to the Renegade Detroit Real Estate Investor Club. Our topic included a discussion on how we got started in real estate investing and how we started leveraging social media in our real estate investing business. We have been using this blog along with Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, TubeMogul, BiggerPockets, and many other social media platforms over the past 4 months in an effort to create relationships with many individuals.
The good news is our efforts are paying off tremendously. It’s almost amazing to us how many connections we have made with great individuals. This has helped our real estate investing business in so many ways, and I can honestly say that engulfing ourselves in the social media scene has been the single biggest reason why we have been successful over the last four months.
As promised in our discussion last night, we have put together 12 simple steps that you can take to get started promoting your business with social media. You don’t have to do all of these, but the more you do, the more you will get back…
So here goes…
- Signup for Facebook & Twitter - This is the single biggest thing you can and should do. Everyone, and I do mean everyone is on Facebook and Twitter, and this represents an excellent opportunity for you to connect with all kinds of people. So go there now and signup…
- Read Crush It by Gary Vaynerchuk – This is the book that really showed us how to get involved with social media. Gary lays out exactly how to get started in the social media scene to promote your business. We followed his model and it has worked great!
- Start a Blog - As Gary tells, your blog is the center of your social media universe. It is where you really brand yourself and/or your business and provide great content for your followers. Just go to WordPress.com and signup. It’s really easy, and literally within minutes of signing up you can have your first blog post published.
- Choose a Domain Name – We chose DriveToFreedom.com as our domain name mainly because most of our video blogs would be shot on the road, and our ultimate goal was (and still is) financial freedom. Put some thought into your name and heck, you can even use your own name to create your personal brand. When you figure it out, go to GoDaddy.com and register your domain…it’ll cost you about $10…
- Signup on Other Social Media Sites – Here’s our favorites
- Create a Facebook Business Page - On Facebook you should really have two areas where you work – your personal profile and your business page. To create a business page click on the “Home” button at the top of the Facebook page, and then on the lefts side of the screen you can click the link labeled “Ads and Pages” (you may have to click the “more” link to see it). Once you click on this link you will then have to click on the “Pages” link on the left side of the screen. From here you can click the “Create Page” button and follow the instructions. One note, when you get 25 people to like your page you can go to www.facebook.com/username and create a vanity name. For instance, our business pages are www.facebook.com/MichiganTurnkey and www.facebook.com/KTProp.
- Join Other Facebook Business Pages – Once you get your own page setup, start checking out other business pages relevant to your topic. This is a great way to make connections and start interacting with other businesses.
- Link Your Blog to Facebook, Twitter & Other Social Media Sites - Most social media sites give you the option to automatically share content on the other social media sites. For instance, you can set up your blog to automatically send all of your posts to Facebook and Twitter when you post. Or you can have your Facebook posts automatically post on twitter and your blog. There are many different ways you can set this up, but you should sit down and map things out before you do it. However I will caution that you should only go one way with the links. For instance you don’t want to have your Facebook posts automatically post to Twitter and also have your Twitter posts automatically post to Facebook…this can create a loop and your posts will show up multiple times on both sites.
- Start Posting Blog Content – When you start posting content you need to keep a few things in mind.
- Be Consistent – keep your content on a schedule whether it’s daily, weekly, bi-weekly, monthly
- Before you start posting, brainstorm at least 15 topics that you can post about. If you’re having trouble coming up with ideas for posts start looking at other blogs to get ideas
- Keep in mind that what you put out there is a permanent record of your thoughts and ideas
- Start Leaving Comments on Other Blogs – One of the best ways to make great connections is by following other blogs. When you leave a comment on a blog your reply along with your name and website are etched in stone. Therefore it is key to focus on providing insightful responses, because there is a good chance that if someone sees your response and they like it, they will check out your blog.
- Get Involved in the Conversation – No matter what platform you are on you need to get involved in the conversation. You should always be sincere with your comments, and make the effort to really think about what you are saying. Remember you words will be etched in stone and you normally cannot take them back, so don’t goof.
- JUST HAVE FUN!!! – Remember, these sights are SOCIAL media sites. Don’t be boring and don’t be afraid to have fun. People want to see your personality, so don’t be afraid to let yourself shine.
So that’s it, there are of course hundreds of other tips we could talk about, but this list should get you off and running. For any questions you have, go ahead and catch up with us on Facebook and we’ll be happy to discuss how you’re using social media to promote your business. Hopefully you can teach us a few tricks too!